Tuesday, June 22, 2010

An Apple a Day...

An Apple a day t-shirt from snorgtees


So, I am sure that anyone who has ever gone on a diet knows that Apples are pretty darn healthy. The saying "an apple a day keeps the doctor away" dates back to the 19th century! Who knew! Research shows that they can help prevent many different types of cancer, and while relatively low in vitamin C, they have other antioxidant properties and contain a decent amount of fiber. Read: great for diets [or healthy eating]. Plus for the amount of food you get to eat, they have a relatively low calorie count.


Apples really seem to be a great choice! That is unless you are allergic to them! How might one become allergic to apples? There are 2 theories on the matter, both involve proteins. Now since I have an apple allergy AND I am a Chemical Engineer, the reason behind my allergy fascinates me.


See, raw apples either contain [1st theory], or have come in contact with [2nd theory], a protein similar in structure to Birch Pollen. So often if someone has outdoor allergies they will find that they have a difficult time eating raw apples. Why Raw? Well, cooking the apple thoroughly denatures the protein, or more simply stated: changes it's shape. That way, when your body sees the protein it doesn't think "Attack the Pollen!!!" thereby triggering an allergic reaction.


So while I would love to eat apples all day and lose tons of weight, it just isn't that simple. I have had to come up with ways around the allergy.


This is my recipe for "Diet" Apple Pie Filling - a treat for me, and a way to get those apples back into my diet.

"Diet" Apple Pie Filling

1 Medium Granny Smith Apple (any apple will work, but these are the best for pie likeness)
1 packet sugar substitute (I use a whole packet of Stevia, any will work)
1/2 tsp Cinnamon (MAX)
1 Dash of Nutmeg (optional)
1 Dash of Cloves (optional)
  1. Cut your apple into 4 quarters and cut out the core pieces.
  2. Use a cheese grater to finely slice the apple. (cutting by hand does not create as thin of slices, but will work if you do not have a grater.)
  3. In a microwave safe bowl, mix the slices with your sugar substitute and a few dashes of cinnamon and any other spice you choose to add (start slow, you can always add more!)
  4. Microwave for 1 minute and 30 seconds to heat thoroughly and denature the protein.
  5. Carefully remove from microwave (will be hot!) and give it one last stir to make sure all your sugars and spices coat the slices well.

You could add low cal ice cream if your diet permits, but I prefer to just eat it as described above!




















Do You Have Any Food Allergies?



8 comments:

  1. I do not have any food allergies, but I think that the low sugar apple pie filling is a great recipe

    Thanks

    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura, this sounds awesome, I know you posted it the other day on WUC but I think I may do this. I am not allergic to apples but I love sweets and this may fix my craving for sweets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have any allergies - that I am aware of anyway. The recipe looks delicious - thanks for sharing it!

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried this, minus the sweetner, and added a little frozen fat free cool whip. Delicious! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks yummy!

    Walnuts make my throat itch so I suppose I am allergic to them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have tons of food allergies actually. The only starch I am not allergic to is potato. That being said, the only foods I can not eat are peanut and corn. The others leave me with a 50/50 chance of getting sick to my stomach if I eat them. It can be hard to work around food allergies. This one is a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks yummy! I believe I do have food allergies, tho I can't quite pinpoint any particular foods that bother. And, none of them seem to bother me enough that I stop eating em! lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. ok..I know this is an older post, but thought I'd comment on it anyway..
    I'm allergic to cantalope..weird right? I eat it and the juice hits my lips and they swell up like Angelina Jolie..which isn't totally terrible..but it really hurts...so..not cantalope for me.
    Reminds me of the episode of Saved by the Bell-Don't tell me I can't-elope, you melon head!.
    Ok..I'm gonna stop talking! :)

    ReplyDelete